You have the power to improve how you sound when you speak English.
Even if reducing your accent seems time-consuming, challenging, or impossible right now.
Does this sound like you?
- You’ve been speaking English for years. You may even live and work in the United States or Canada already!
- Your language ability is good, even excellent. The problem is not your vocabulary or your fluency. You just know you don't sound like a native speaker.
- You sound choppy or robotic while native speakers sound so expressive and musical.
- You're tired of being asked to repeat yourself and wondering if it's your words or your accent.
- You’re frustrated because you can express yourself clearly and intelligently in your native language.
- When you speak your language, people always tell you how well-spoken you are, and you feel relaxed, confident, and comfortable.
- You want this feeling in English. You want to sound more natural in English, maybe even as good as a native speaker.
- You want to feel comfortable speaking up in conversations, meetings, and discussions, knowing that your ideas, not your accent, will be listened to.
- You want to sound more professional, feel confident, and trust that your words will be understood.
You are in good company:
I came here [to the US] and realized how truly limited my English was, and it was very scary.
I soon realized it wasn't going to be hard to learn — it was going to be nearly impossible. My accent was horrible.
In Mexico, nobody says, "You speak English with a good accent."
You either speak English or you don't: as long as you can communicate, no one cares.
But the word accent became such a big word in my life.
-Salma Hayek, Award-Winning Actress
I get it...
You want to feel included and fit in when having conversations in English, without feeling the need to apologize for your accent or worrying about having to repeat yourself.
When you're with the people closest to you, you don't stress about your accent. They don't even seem to notice it.
But at work, you are constantly presenting your ideas to native speakers. Meetings, conference calls, lectures, conferences, and networking events, even happy hour - you want to be sure you're speaking clearly and effectively.
After all, that first impression counts: you want other people to feel completely certain that they understand you.
You want to have a more-natural sounding accent, but you're worried it's going to take too long to get there. After all, you've been speaking English for so many years already. You're surrounded by English. Isn't that enough? (If it were, you wouldn't be here.)
Don't worry, I'll help you get there. You’re in the right place!
Chances are you've spent plenty of time and energy troubleshooting your accent over the years. With so many resources on the internet, you're probably aware of how you want to sound and have a vague idea of how to get there.
(For example, if you've taken my free email course, you are already off to a good start.)
I've never worked with someone who was completely new to the process. Most people have tried lots of methods: working with books and recordings, exploring YouTube videos and online resources, and maybe even investing in one-to-one coaching or tutoring.
So why has nothing worked so far? Is it you? Is it worth your effort? You're probably tired of spending time, money, and energy and not getting results. I would be too.
Quite honestly, the accent reduction process can seem overwhelming.
Let me guide you.
Most resources focus on fixing the way you pronounce certain sounds. While this is helpful when you're just starting to learn English, by the time you're proficient or even fluent, this can be a serious distraction.
Speaking English like a native speaker is primarily about learning how to more consistently stress words by emphasizing certain syllables.
It's about gaining control of your pitch, varying your volume, and lengthening certain syllables to speak clearly and effectively.
It's about understanding how to bring extra attention to the most important words so that you sound less choppy and more fluid and your meaning is completely clear.
It's about noticing, absorbing, and producing the stress patterns in words so that native speakers can more easily understand you (and you can understand them, too).
After nine years working with non-native speakers, I've developed a curriculum that consistently leads to results.
My clients mention again and again that I explain ways to produce sounds or shape their mouths that other accent trainers just haven't taught them before. (See some of their comments below!)
By following my methods, they sound more natural and less robotic,
more expressive and less monotone, more clear and easy to understand.
And now you can get these same results through a self-guided program.
If you’ve been hanging around here for even a little while, you’ve heard me say it a million times:
What’s the number one thing you can do to sound more like an American?
Consistently stress your words.
- Word stress helps native English speakers understand you.
- Word stress ensures you use technical or academic words correctly.
- Word stress gives you time to move through all of the shapes required to pronounce words accurately.
- Sentence stress is required to create the natural rhythm of English.
- Sentence stress helps you emphasize the key parts of your sentence.
- Sentence stress is essential for clearly communicating your emotions and attitude through intonation.
The reasons most non-native speakers avoid improving their word and sentence stress?
They're not sure which syllable to stress, they have no idea that there are patterns they can learn, and they haven't yet developed an awareness of the rhythm that comes naturally to native speakers.
This program is going to simplify all of that for you.
I'll guide you through everything you need to know about how to move your mouth and what to pay attention to so that you sound more like a native speaker.
Then you'll practice with a month's worth of practice exercises designed to stretch and shape your mouth and increase your sensitivity to stress patterns in words and phrases that you're very likely to use in professional and academic settings.
If you put in the work, and commit to practicing with at least one exercise each and every day, you will see results.
Even better, if you take my suggestions and apply what you learn in this course to your real-life needs, goals, and desires, you’ll feel more confident in the situations where your accent truly counts.
Stress Simplified is straightforward and easy-to-follow. You can complete the program on your own schedule, but you'll get the best results with consistent practice over 4-6 weeks.
- You'll get my practical guidance through video lessons on everything you need to know about natural-sounding word and sentence stress
- You'll have consistent opportunities to practice stress patterns through short, downloadable MP3 exercises
- You'll be able to remember what you've learned and apply it to your real life with a PDF guidebook
This program is designed to get you the same results you would achieve through one-to-one coaching, at a fraction of the cost.
Rather than spending $200+ on pronunciation books that only give you part of the story or $1000+ on hard-to-schedule coaching sessions, you can invest in a program that you can take anywhere.
To help you start off 2018 on the right foot, I'm including a special bonus!
When you join Stress Simplified in November or December, you will be able to join will be able to join a small, private learning community that will run like a bootcamp through December 29.
You can share recordings and videos and ask all of your questions and learn from the group. You'll get the 1-on-1 attention you need (from me) and support, accountability, and advice to finally improve your word and sentence stress.
This program is for you if:
- you want to reduce your accent so you are more easily understood
- you want to learn how to use word stress to create the natural rhythm of spoken English
- you want to learn how to use stress to emphasize the key meaning of your message
- you want to practice all of these skills with practical exercises
- you want to improve your listening skills and understand the most important words when native speakers are talking
This program is NOT for you if:
- you're looking for extremely detailed guidance on pronouncing every single sound in English or any other aspect of English (this program focuses specifically on word and sentence stress and stress patterns)
- you're not willing to do the practice exercises on a regular basis (serious progress can be made with only 10-15 minutes a day, but you have to do the work)
- you expect to completely eliminate your accent in just a couple of months (this isn't magic, but rather an effective accent reduction program focused on speaking more clearly)
- you have trouble understanding my natural speaking speed (this program will help you improve your listening skills, and you can adjust the speed of the videos, but you should already feel comfortable with my speaking style)
Here's what's included in Stress Simplified:
- Permanent access to a private course site that you can access anytime
- Video lessons, MP3 exercises, and PDF guidebook
- MP3 and PDF downloads so that you can work on reducing your accent when you're offline or traveling
- Access to all updates and improvements to the program, even when the price goes up in the future
- Private community where you can share recordings to get feedback on how you speak (through December 29)
You can review the complete contents of the program over on the course site. Scroll to the bottom to check it out!
Joining now and starting right away means you can start off 2018 feeling more confident about how you speak English.
And you can continue to study the materials as much as you want, for as long as you want! 🙌
Here's How We Get Started:
- Click the "I'm in! Let's do this!" button below. You'll be redirected to course payment page.
- Enter your email address.
- Pay for the program with your credit or debit card or Paypal.
- Follow the instructions to create your account.
- Receive immediate access to all course materials.
- Get started working on your word and sentence stress! You're that much closer to sounding natural!
One Time Payment
- DECEMBER BONUS: Private Slack community to ask questions
- Six modules on word stress, stress patterns, and sentence stress
- Video lessons to guide you step-by-step through the process
- A month of MP3 exercises to ensure consistent progress and help you internalize the stress patterns
- Detailed PDF guidebook
- Access to all future updates and improvements
What My Clients Are Saying
Kim has an engaging and practical way of teaching sounding natural. She is big on "musicality" of English so she trained me hard on intonation and length of pronunciation. She has phenomenal ears that could single out the subtle differences in my accent.
-Carol, China (living in the US)
I am very impressed with the thoroughness and expertise you demonstrated. I've been following your suggestions ever since and I've already seen improvements. Finally, not only you gave me invaluable suggestions and info to improve my speaking, but you also boosted my overall confidence.
-Toni, Brazil (living in the US)
After working with you, I feel more confident interacting with people. I can now use my English to get into a deeper conversation, but I wasn’t able to do that before because I was constantly worried about my accent. I’m not a perfectionist anymore, once I got rid of the idea of being a perfectionist, I’m actually one step forward (closer) to being more perfect.
-Nikki, Japan (living in the US)
Meet Your Guide
I’m Kim, and I'm an online English teacher and accent reduction coach. I work with motivated non-native English speakers who want to sound more natural, more professional, and more fluent in English so that they can achieve their personal, professional, and academic goals.
I know how important it is to be able to connect with other people in a language that isn’t our first. (I now speak Spanish fluently but it wasn’t always that way! P.S. I also want to reduce my accent and wish a program like this existed in Spanish.)
I love demystifying the accent reduction process - it IS possible for you and you CAN sound more like a native speaker. Nothing inspires me more than watching my clients grow more confident and more comfortable speaking up, and hearing them transform how they speak English.
Here's the truth:
I know how much you are struggling to reduce your accent all by yourself. It takes time. It takes effort. And after so much time spent looking through and experimenting with other resources, you may be feeling overwhelmed or even discouraged.
I would love it if you would give me the opportunity to guide you with this program. I've developed this approach through years of coaching clients on how to improve their speech and reduce their accent. I've included all the "secrets" I know so you can fine-tune your speaking and finally create the natural rhythm of English.